Monday, February 6, 2012

Herbal Mischief Reading List

So, last month I wrote a little post about all the herbal mischief I am planning for this year. Part of that post referred to a reading list I was putting together. Here it is! My reading list for the year:

Herbalism in America (excluding Native traditions, which I would like to focus on next year)

The Practice of Traditional Western Herbalism, by Matthew Woods
Medical Protestants: The Eclectics in American Medicine, by John S Haller
The People's Doctor: Samuel Thomson and the American Botanical Movement, by John S. Haller
and possibly
Kindly Medicine: physio-medicalism in America, by John S. Haller

I wish I could find a few other authors as well, but this will be a good start.


Herbals and European Herbal History
Medieval Herbals: the Illustrative Traditions, by Minta Collins
The Old English Herbals, by Eleanour Sinclair Rhode
Herbals: their origin and evolution, by Agnes Arber

And I would like to at least browse through the following:

Gerard's Herbal, by John Gerard
Culpeper's Complete Herbal, by Nicholas Culpeper
A modern herbal, by Maude Grieve

I think I will probably purchase them one or two at a time, some of them are a bit on the pricey side. Well, at least for me, the expert at dredging up $2.oo herbal books at the local used bookshops :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment