Monday, April 16, 2012

Chickweed and Cleavers

If you need your garden weeded, ask an herbalist. If they are anything like me, they will be happy to grub everything out of your garden that you don't want. . .as long as they can keep it!

After weeding a friends garden, I came home with loads of chickweed and cleavers and needed a quick way to preserve them. Both make pretty tasty greens - chickweed is excellent raw, cleavers is better if you steam it- but I wanted to make them husband-friendly. Especially as I brought them home pretty much specifically for him and his stubborn skin problems.

Chickweed


Both herbs have a high water content when fresh, so I didn't want to use vodka for extracts like I would with the dried versions.

Cleavers

I settled on pulling out my blender, adding water, and pressing  out the juice from the resulting mash.

Life is short- Make Messes!
Cleavers, Left. Chickweed, Right.

 Then I used ice cube trays to throw everything in the freezer.


He takes a cube out and melts it in a cup of water as he needs them, and so far this has worked great. I think it helps that I also used the fish-shaped ice cube trays.

Fishes, my Precious!

No comments:

Post a Comment